Sunday 27 September 2015

Retro Sunday



I was so excited yesterday ! I had my G Plan E Gomme Ltd dining table delivered by courier from Southampton. I absolutely LOVE it!! The top will need sanded back (very lightly as it is veneer), and refinished with wax varnish. The base section also needed a paint so I have given it a coat of Annie Sloan Graphite this afternoon ;)
After my table arrived we drove up to a little village near Chester to collect a pine wine cupboard that I bought on ebay for myself. I plan to paint it the same colour as my big Provence dresser in the kitchen. I will show you pics next week as I forgot to take any today.
The car boot sale was a good one this morning and I bought this Stag chest of drawers. 
What a total mess someone has made of it, and it’s going to take me ages to strip off all the stickers. Someone has even gloss painted over even more stickers too :(

It needed rescuing though and I will spend time restoring it.
I also got a really quirky black metal mirror, made in Spain. Very unusual.
This afternoon I finished off the "Old White" frames I painted last week.
I gave them a second coat of paint, and once dry I used a damp cloth to rub off some of the paint to let the colour underneath show through.
Any paint that gets onto the glass can be easily scraped off with a blade. They turned out really nice, so I just have to clean up the glass and put them back together again. I will pop a little photo print in to show people what they will look like with a photograph.
Next I started this nice little project -
 I bought this cute little retro 2 drawer chest a couple of weeks ago. I took inspiration from my retro G Plan table and decided to paint it in Graphite.
 Although I do like to keep the original handles on most things, these were in poor condition and not very exciting. I found these beauties I have had for a few years, This is the project they had been waiting for.
I painted the drawers fronts in pale cream. I decided to use a spray paint as this retro piece is teak veneered and teak oil shows through the chalk paint if you are using a light colour. I applied 2 coats and couldn't wait to see what it would look like so put the drawers back in and took a couple of pics.

I love the monochrome look, and the knobs add a touch of quirkiness, which I love! I may give the black another coat before I wax and buff ready for sale.
Here's another project that has been waiting in the wings. I bought this fantastic metal Charles Rennie Mackintosh style chair over a year ago. It has been poorly painted and the seat pads in a hideous red and black flowery material.
 I removed the hideous fabric, and reupholstered in a piece of fabric I bought years ago. Isn't it funny how things eventually come together.
I covered the seat and back panel, and spray painted the metal frame in pale cream to match the fabric.


I just need to find the screws now ! Then secure the pads in place. This chair has been sitting so long in my house I am not sure if I can bear to part with it!

That's all for this week, there just never seems to be enough hours in the day.
Have a great week!!




No comments:

Post a Comment