Sunday 12 July 2015

Bring On The Sunshine !

Decided to take an hour out from painting today to go and pick up my "new" garden furniture!!
Bought on ebay for £28! Table and 4 chairs. Needs a coat of paint. Now I wonder who I can get to do that for me :)


I have been really busy this weekend. Took a quick trip into town on Saturday and got my car valetted and topped up with petrol. I used to wash my car most weekends but my furniture painting takes up so much of my time that I find it easier to pop to the local car wash.
Yesterday I made a start to the big deco style dressing table.


 I removed the mirror and handles and as always with large pieces turned it upside down to start painting to make sure I didn't miss any nooks and crannies ;)





I love seeing all the framework of these beautiful old pieces once you remoive all the drawers. So well made, and solid wood unlike the cheap rubbish they sell nowadays.



 Next, it was time to choose the colour. As the wood is quite dark I stayed away from the lighter shades that could require quite a few coats. I also thought the deco style suited the colour I chose - Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue !  


I love this colour! It looks fantastic and goes with so many different colours.



The dressing table needed two coats of paint, then I lightly distressed before applying it's first coat of clear wax this afternoon.

Nice carved detail on the front.
I have also masked off the gorgeous semi circular mirror to paint the edge in the same colour.

One of the handles had been damaged, and took brute force to remove it. There was no way I was going to find a matching one to replace it so I have decided to go a bit glam and have ordered some lovely crystal knobs. They should be here by next weekend, and I will then be able to get it up for sale, and show you the finished project :)

If I don't think they look right I will keep them for another project and find something more suited.

It was a bit drizzly this morning and we headed out to the car boot sales thinking they may not even be on. Thankfully they were though, not as many cars as usual due to the weather, but the sun came out and we managed to get a few bargains. I picked up this lovely framed print and a few nice photo frames to paint.


This is a lovely chunky wooden frame and will look really nice painted.





While I was waiting for paint to dry on the dressing table I painted up a couple of the frames I bought at the car boot sale last week.

 They started off gold coloured. I gave them a coat of Old White, followed by a coat of Duck Egg Blue, then sanded them back to let the white show through. It is easy to remove any of the chalk paint that gets onto the glass by gently scraping it off with a metal ruler, or blunt knife.



I don't know if you have a Pinterest account, but I love it, and post photos of the furniture I paint. I get loads of great ideas there and thought you might like to see this cool post I came across today.
If you havent visited Pinterest now you should have a look. It's so inspirational, and easy to use :)

Have a great week, and please leave a comment :)


No comments:

Post a Comment