Friday 1 June 2018

Metamorphosis in May

So, if you read my last post you will know that I was cutting butterflies out of napkins for a new project. I bought these two gorgeous solid wood cabinets on FB Marketplace. When I went to collect them I was surprised at how large they were. They are beauties. Here is the before pic.....

I removed all the hardware and painted them in Annie Sloan Chateau Grey, which I would say is more green than grey. I then decoupaged the drawer sides with lovely butterfly design napkins...

and when the mod podge was fully dried I used my power sander to smooth them down and distress.
Next I randomly applied the butterflies I had cut out, adding a couple on each cupboard front, and one on the side.

I decided not to paint the tops and so sanded them back and refinished with clear and dark wax...

Once waxed, they were buffed to a soft sheen. They are currently up for sale. I must admit that I am really enjoying the napkin decoupage, so I might do a blog soon to show you how it is done, and give you a few tips I have learned, mostly from my mistakes !
After this chunky farmhouse style pair, I went all retro, and fell in love with this wallpaper I took a sample of when I was shopping last weekend...


 I knew I had a couple of genuine retro cabinets in the shed, so I fished them out and painted them in Paris Grey, which was a perfect match for the paper...



The first one is this cute little Schreiber bedside cabinet. When I pulled the drawer out I discovered that the wood had been bent round at a 90 degree angle to form the back (I am not explaining this very well so here's a pic)...

This is a really special furniture and it is a shame that this perfect craftsmanship is hidden away inside.  I left as much as I could of the original cabinet, and didn't paint the drawer or legs.



If I had somewhere for it I would keep it as I really love this unique and quirky piece.
The second cabinet is a Lebus design (I think). Little wooden legs, and I have kept the original metal knobs and painted the inside of the drawer yellow to match the paper.

I must remember to go and get some more of this wallpaper as I love it and would definitely use it again.
This weekend I have loads of other work to do round the house and garden so will have a break from furniture painting. I will however go to a car boot sale on Sunday if the weather is nice, and I will post pics of any bargains I find.
Have a good week, and please leave a comment, or ask any questions you may have.




No comments:

Post a Comment