Sunday 19 May 2019

Full Steam Ahead!

I am enjoying the stunning views from my waterfront flat, and yesterday morning this cruise ship sailed up and dropped anchor right across from me.

This weekend it was full steam ahead in the workshop too !
I popped out on Saturday morning to pick up this lovely little trolley table I bought on FB Marketplace.
I thought it would look nice in Graphite, but I sanded the top down first as I like to leave some of the wood showing if possible.
The old dark varnish sanded off really easily to reveal a lovely wood grain underneath.
I sealed this with 2 coats of polyurethane varnish to make sure it didn't get marked with any of the Graphite paint while I was painting the rest of the table.
I removed the drawers, then turned the while thing upside down to start the painting. This is the best way to start as if you don't you can miss some of the bits underneath.
Now it has had 2 coats of paint, as have the drawers. Nice handles too!
Ran out of time to finish this one today. Still to distress and seal with Annie Sloan wax. I will then give the wooden top a couple more coats of varnish to protect against staining. Sorry you will have to tune in next weekend to see pics of the finished project.
I have had this gorgeous mid century chair for years, but finally got round to painting it today, while I had the Graphite on my brush ;)
Time consuming masking off all the rungs though, you need a lot of patience.
Told you I worked really hard this weekend - I also transformed the little hexagonal table I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Again using Graphite, I decided to turn this one into a little clock table. I love doing these !
Turned it upside down first to paint the base, then worked my way up.
Masked off an area to paint in Old White for the clock face.
After 2 coats, and once it was completely dry I got out my trusty clock stencil, and using the Graphite again (slightly watered down). I stencilled a clock face on the table top.
I also have a stencil for clock hands, so used this to add the finishing touches.
Next I lightly distressed the whole table then sealed it, including the clock face with Annie Sloan clear wax. I lightly rubbed some black wax across the face to age it slightly as you can see in the pic below.
When the wax has dried I will buff it to a soft sheen.Might have to keep this quirky little side table for my new flat ;)

Had a giggle at this next pic. This is definitely me !!  lol
Have a great week, and feel free to leave a comment or ask a question if there is anything I can help with.

No comments:

Post a Comment