Sunday, 19 January 2014

Celica Number 3 !

Well, what a week!! Forgot to tell you that I was involved in a car crash a couple of weeks ago. Stupid young girl cut across in front of me and bashed the front of my car in. At first the insurance company said they would have it repaired, but when it went in to the body shop for an estimate changed their minds as it was going to be too expensive, and have now written it off. They only told me on Thursday, so I had to find a replacement car quickly.

So I spent Thursday evening on Autotrader and Ebay Motors, and managed to find another T Sport, one year older, but lower mileage. Picked it up yesterday :0) This is the 3rd Celica I have owned, they are brilliant cars! My first one was a 1996 Japanese import.

I really liked the shape of this one. My second was a 2004 T Sport in Thunder Grey

and this is the one I picked up yesterday. It's a 2003 T Sport

Thankfully the payout from the insurance covered the cost of the new car, and the increase in my insurance policy. I drove it back from Manchester yesterday, and it seems fine, but will get my mechanic to check it over for me ;0)

Had a nice long lie this morning then got to work on my painting. Firstly I finished off the gold edged mirror.

I lightly sanded so that some of the original gold paint could be seen, then stripped off the masking tape and gave it a good clean. Currently hanging in my hall, I am not sure whether to keep this one for the new house. I will hang onto it until I make up my mind, as I have a few mirrors in the shed ready for painting

 Next, I finished off painting the PROVENCE hall table. The top needed a second coat, and I touched up here and there where I had missed. I had seen a sideboard on pinterest that had been painted with the same colour, then sealed and aged with dark wax. I loved the colour that resulted so decided to give it a go. Here is the drawer before....

and after. I firstly applied a coat of clear wax, then rubbed in dark wax until I liked the shade.

I has painted over the handles, so sanded back so some of the metal would show through. I then rubbed on some gold rub, which is wax based, and once dry buffs up just like the Annie Sloan wax

I am so happy with the texture and colour that I ended up with. Can't wait to see this piece completed. I will finish it off next weekend and let you see. This one is a keeper and will take pride of place in the hallway of our new house :0)

Next, I finished off the chunky pine chair. I had given it one coat of PARIS GREY last week, and as I quite like to see the pine through the paint in places decided not to give it a second coat. Once it was dry I lightly distressed and sealed with clear wax.

This chair is now listed on ebay.

I am slowly working my way through the pieces of furniture still in the shed. My next project is a cute little bedside cabinet. I brought it up from the shed and as I was cleaning it off ready to start painting I notice that the veneer had bubbled and was lifting. This must have been caused by dampness where it was stored. Only thing for it was to strip the damaged veneer off.

With a little help from my wonderful husband, the side and front cupboard door were stripped off.
I have not decided what colour to paint this one yet, and also whether to change the unusual old handle that was on it. 

Tune in next week to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment