Monday 6 May 2019

Starting Over Again

It's a long time since my last blog post and so much has happened.
I have relocated to Bonnie Scotland near Edinburgh (my home town) and now live in Dalgety Bay with breathtaking views of the Forth Estuary and the 3 Bridges.


Suffice to say, I am now single, and starting a new adventure. I recently started work as the Administrator for a local charity and now that I have found a new home and job I can turn my attention back to my passion - transforming tired furniture.

My first project was something I have been dying to try since I first heard about it. Painting fabric with chalk paint !! I have an oldish light coloured IKEA chair that was looking a bit grubby as it got marked in the removal van. 


As my new lounge is quite neutral I decided it needed a pop of colour so I custom mixed a lovely citrus lime shade. 


After watching a few YouTube videos I just went for it! I worked in sections, spraying the fabric with water and applying the paint with plenty of water.


AS long as you dip your brush in water after the paint it will glide on quite easily, and it dyes the fabric when you apply it. Even the first coat was a stunning transformation !


I gave it a day or two to dry out, then repeated the process painting in the opposite direction this time and this evened out any stripeyness. I don't know if that's a real word ?!? Anyway, after the second coat the material went quite stiff with the chalk paint, so once dry I very lightly sanded the surface with a fine sandpaper. I think it now looks fabulous!!! and I had the perfect cushion already!!


After the success of this first project I well and truly had been bitten by the bug again and needed to find something else to paint !! :) I headed to a local charity furniture store and found this fab retro coffee table, an original 60's design with those gorgeous dansette legs with little brass feet.


Next I planned out my design and drew it out on the top. Then the fun began ! Masking off each triangle and giving it 3 coats of paint. This took ages to do, and you need to have a lot of patience to do something like this !


But rewarded for all my patience in the end as this is how it turned out -


On Sunday I drove up to Errol Car Boot sale to look for more stuff to transform and found these lovely pieces which are perfect for painting.




I will write again next week and let you see what fabulous colour I painted these two wooden bedside cabinets ;)


HAVE A GREAT WEEK!


No comments:

Post a Comment